Glasgow Inner Ring Road
ON THIS PAGE
Glasgow’s Inner Ring Road was proposed as an urban motorway around the city centre. Originally mooted in Robert Bruce’s “First Planning Report” of 1945, formal proposals were not outlined until the "Interim Report on the Glasgow Inner Ring Road" was produced by Scott Wilson Kirkpatrick on behalf of Glasgow Corporation in 1962.
The north flank of the Inner Ring Road stretched from Castle Street through the Comprehensive Development Areas at Townhead and Cowcaddens towards Great Western Road. Ultimately the west and north flanks were the only two parts of the ring road that were completed and today they form the M8, the north flank being the section between junctions 15 and 17.
Like the west flank, the north flank was split in to two phases. These were the Townhead Interchange at the east end of the corridor and the Woodside Section to the west, which in turn joined on to the west flank through Charing Cross.
The corridor selected for the north flank differs to that outlined in the Bruce Report of 1945. As wholesale redevelopment of the local area was planned, the design team decided to use open space to the north west of Townhead and reduce the overall impact on Cowcaddens.
This page details the Woodside Section of the north flank, completed in May 1971. This work involved building a section of elevated motorway north of Cowcaddens, alterations to a number of surface streets like New City Road and the construction of junctions to join the north flank of the Inner Ring Road to the proposed Maryhill Motorway and Great Western Road.
Key Facts: Woodside Section
Inner Ring Road
Scott Wilson Kirkpatrick & Partners
and Wm. Holford & Associates
(>£55 million today)