The A898 is a short stretch of trunk road dual carriageway located to the west of Glasgow. It is the route number assigned to the Erskine Bridge. It begins as a continuation of the M898, from its junction with the A726 and terminates on the A82 at Dalnottar Interchange. It was opened on 2nd July 1971.
As the westernmost road crossing of the River Clyde, it is well used by long distance and tourist traffic travelling to and from Glasgow Airport, the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park and the Scottish Highlands.
The need for a downstream crossing of the River Clyde was first recognised by the Clyde Valley Plan, published in 1949. It suggested a route across the river in the same location as the existing bridge.
The Erskine Bridge was designed by Freeman Fox and the main contractor was Fairfield-Mabey Ltd. The total cost was £4.5 million (around £84 million today).
A898 Construction Summary
Erskine Bridge Main Contract
A726 to A82
2nd July 1971
The A898 has two junctions. The first, located south of the bridge is known locally as Spectacles Interchange. This junction has long slip roads that face south away from the bridge providing full access to and from the motorway. This layout was deliberately chosen to suit the toll plaza for the Erskine Bridge. The slip roads were once two lanes wide, but in recent years have been narrowed to single width due to safety reasons. The second provides free flow links with the A82 at its northern end.
More detail on the planning, design and construction of the A898 can be read on our Erskine Bridge article.
This article was first published in July 2021.
From the Archive